Do not regulate surrogacy but abolish it
As European elections are due next months, surrogacy is at stake. The Colition for the Abolition of surrogate motherhood adresses the political parties, candidates to the european elections to ask them to back up the idea of the abolition of surrogacy.
Admittedly, the parliament has condemned the practice of surrogacy: article 115 European Parliament resolution of 17 December 2015 on the Annual Report on Human Rights and Democracy in the World 2014 and the European Union’s policy on the matter (2015/2229(INI))
It is now necessary to go further, thus until the worlwide abolition of the practice, the only way to put an end to the cross-border traffic that defats all national legislation.
Here re 8 reasons to commit to surrogacy abolition
- Surrogacy involves merchandising the body of a woman who is used as a surrogate mother.
- Surrogacy is nothing more than the sale of children (*).
- Surrogacy is the exploitation of the reproductive capacity of women and the use of a woman to satisfy the desires of others.
- Surrogacy is not intended to satisfy a right. There is no right to motherhood, there is no right to the child, there is the possibility or not to be a parent.
- Surrogacy only increases the inequality between women.
- To regulate surrogacy only organizes a new modality of trafficking in women.
- Surrogacy violates the rights of children and the rights of women by contributing to a society based on the use and abuse of persons, organizing a first and second class of human beings, promoting an unequal global order discriminatory between human beings.
- The wishes of parents can be met by formulas that do not involve the exploitation or commodification of women and children.
(*) according to the Special rapporteur on the sale and sexual exploitation of children, including child prostitution, child pornography and other child sexual abuse material (37th session of the Human Rights Council)